'Legal Tip Tuesday Videos'

See Videos by Practice Area


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi everybody it’s Adam Quatrini, here today is Legal Tip Tuesday. Today we’re going to talk about your right to inspect and receive your medical records. A lot of you have to see your medical records, order them, and have gone through the almost impossible scenario of talking to your insurance carrier, your medical provider, and not being able to receive them, receive them timely, or paying way too much money in order to receive them. And I’m here to tell you that you have an absolute right to inspect medical records and your bills from your insurance carrier and from your medical providers. That’s a right garmented to you under the federal law. And usually they can do it electronically so it’s much cheaper than most carriers and insurance companies will charge you. And a very good information source www.nihit.gov has an even further rundown about what your rights are, and how to go about receiving your medical records at a cheaper cost and what your rates are under the law.

    • Video Transcript
      • Hi, welcome to Legal Tip Tuesday at Quatrini Rafferty. My name is Joyce Novotny-Prettiman and I want to share with you today an important tip in regard to your automobile insurance coverage. Please check your coverage and make sure that you’ve chosen both un and underinsured motorist coverage for your motor vehicles. This coverage is something that you are not required to carry under Pennsylvania law but it’s very important that you do carry the coverage because it protects not only you, but also any member of your family that lives in your household who might be seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident. So, you want to make sure that you’ve selected un and underinsured motorist coverage, you want to make sure that the policy limits for those coverages are the same or equal to your liability coverage, which is the coverage that you carry in case you’re at fault and someone else is hurt in an accident. You also want to make sure that you stack those coverages. These things are all every important, most of all because they are going to help you in a situation where someone might be seriously injured, and the other driver doesn’t have enough insurance or has no insurance. We talk to many people who have that situation and they can’t make those changes in the policy after they’re hurt. So make sure that you do that, check it right now, we’re happy to help you if you have any questions about that coverage, but it’s the thing that makes sure that you have the protection in an event that you’re insured seriously in a motor vehicle accident. So take that preventative measure, we’re happy to help you with any questions. Thanks.

    • Video Transcript
      • Hi, It’s Legal Tip Tuesday and this is Dick Galloway. And I want to talk today about a question I have had asked of me in the past. If I’m driving a car and it’s owned by somebody else, and they’re in the car, and I’m speeding, does it affect them at all? And the answer is yes, there’s a little know prevision in the vehicle code called Permitting Violation of Title. And it says that if you’re the owner of a vehicle, and that you knowingly permit and/or otherize somebody to operate your vehicle in violation of any of the previsions of the motor vehicle code then you’re as responsible as they are. So that, if you’re in the car and you’re in the passenger seat and somebody else is driving your car because you’re tired and they’re speeding or they run a stop sign, you can be caused to pay the same fine and suffer the same penalties as they do. So, the moral of the story is when you’re in the car and somebody else is driving it, make sure they drive properly because you suffer the same penalties as they do and that’s not in your best interest. You don’t want to accrue legal fees and points and fines and all those things for something somebody else did. Now mind you this only occurs if you are the owner of the car and in the car at the time. In theory you could be held responsible if you knew somebody was going to go out and speed your car, but it’s pretty hard for the police to prove that. However, when you’re in the car and it’s going 70 miles an hour in a 55 zone, it’s not very hard for them to prove that you knew or should have known that your driver was violating the law. So be careful, drive carefully, we do a lot of accident cases and we don’t want to see you get hurt and we certainly don’t want to see you get in legal trouble. So be careful and make sure your driver is careful.


    • Video Transcript
      • I’m Mike Routch, one of the Workers’ Comp attorneys here at Quatrini Rafferty. Sometimes when you treat for your injuries following a work accident, you have to treat with a doctor or get physical therapy far from your home. The Workers’ Compensation Act allows you to be reimbursed for your mileage as long at the travel to the treatment center is not local. Local travel is defined as where everyone in your community generally goes for treatment. So, if you’re in a rural area and you have to travel to a city in order to treat for your work injury, if it’s a place where people in your community generally travel for treatment of that type, it might not be covered by the Workers’ Compensation Act. However, there are acceptations, such as if your employer or the Workers’ Comp insurance carrier directs you to seek specifically that travel. In that case your mileage is more likely to be reimbursed. It can be complicated, so if you have any questions give us a call at Quatrini Rafferty. We can help you through it.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi, my name is Joyce Novotny-Prettiman, I’m an attorney at Quatrini Rafferty and I’m here today for a legal tip for your Tuesday. What I would like to talk about is how important it is if you’re in a motor vehicle accident to get information at the scene, if you are able to do so. It’s always a very stressful situation when you’re in an automobile collision and so hopefully these tips will help you get the basic information you need in case you need it later. If the police are called to the scene of a collision they usually will take care of gathering this information, but if it’s not you’re left to do that on your own and if it’s not something you do every day it can be something that gets complicated rather quickly. So first of all, make sure that you identify the other driver. If you have a smart phone and you can use your phone to take pictures, it will make the process a little bit easier, but you can always get out the pen and pencil. You want to know the name, the exact name of the other driver, their address, and their phone number. Again if you can take a picture of their driver license, that’s great. So you want to make sure to identify the driver, you also want to get the insurance information on the vehicle. Many people will have an insurance card with them and again, you can either take a photo of that or write down the name of the insurance company and the policy number, those are the most important things. If you can get a picture of the other vehicle, that’s great as well, including the license plate. Another thing that’s important to get at the scene of the accident is the name of any witnesses and their phone number. These folks are people that you can call on later if you need to get any additional information or any help in regard to identifying things that happened, people that were at the scene, and how an incident accrued. We’re happy to help you at any time with any questions you have when you’re hurt in an auto accident, so please give us a call here at Quatrini Rafferty.


    • Video Transcript
      • Good Morning, welcome to Legal Tip Tuesday at Quatrini Rafferty. My name is Joyce Novotny-Prettiman, and I’d like to talk to you a little bit today about your auto insurance. You may have received some paperwork from your auto insurance company in the mail and wonder why you received that. It actually maybe because of a recent Pennsylvania Supreme Court Case that we talked about in a previous Legal Tip Tuesday. That case was decided in January of 2019 and it’s called Gallagher V. GEICO. It’s really important that you understand what that case stands for because the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania issued a consumer-friendly decision that basically says that you have to understand what you are rejecting as far as your insurance coverage goes, and the insurance company cannot put language in a policy that takes away coverage that you purchased. So that decision is based on uninsured and under insured motorist coverage. And the paperwork that you get is going to ask you some questions about that type of coverage. So, it’s a good time to just hit the pause button and understand what you’re signing before you send that paperwork back to the insurance company. So uninsured and under insured motorist coverage is very important. It protects you if you or a family member is hurt in an auto accident, and the other person who’s at fault doesn’t have enough insurance coverage. Unfortunately, we’ve had many people come to our office who don’t have that insurance coverage selected on their insurance policy, and that means they don’t have the coverage they in in the case of a serious injury. So, if you get paperwork form your insurance company, don’t sign a rejection of stacking coverage or a rejection of underinsured motorist coverage without knowing what you are doing if you do that. We always recommended that you have uninsured and under insured motorist coverage in place and that it should be at least the limits of your liability policy and that you stack it. We’re always happy to help you understand that paperwork if you give us a call at Quatrini Rafferty. So it’s a great time for an insurance checkup, give us a call if you need help.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hello, and welcome back to Legal Tip Tuesday. This is a service of Quatrini Rafferty that we really enjoy doing. Today, the subject I want to share with you is psychological injuries in the workplace. There are three district categories of psychological injuries in the legal parlance. The first is where you have a physical insult that results in an emotional disability. Let me give you an example. You have a heart attack, an you’ve been out of work for a long time. You have all of those worries that come with being out of work. Loss of money, loss of self-esteem. Over time you developed depression and anxiety, a very normal consequence. That’s a physical injury that has resulted in a psychological overlay, we call it, or a disability. That phycological treatment that you might need, will be paid for under workers comp, under that scenario. Both the heart attack, and the phycological care that you need for depression or anxiety. Now let’s flip that. The second category is when you suffer an emotional insult at work, that results in a physical injury. So, what might happen is that you’ve now been told that you’ve lost your job and that you have to train your replacement before they send you out the door. You’re so emotionally distraught that you suffer a heart attack. Well, that heart attack, and that treatment and your loss of wages because of it, are going to be covered under workers compensation. The third category is more complicated, it’s called a mental mental injury. A phycological stimuli, causes a phycological disability. Here’s an example. You’re working at a gas station as a clerk, somebody walks in with a gun, points it at your chest and says, "give me the money." And you’re scared to death, of course. That fear that emanates from that, and what happens afterwards, the development of post-traumatic stress disorder, is related to the workplace. It’s related to being robbed, at gun point. But the law has made it harder to recover in that scenario. We as your lawyers have to prove that what happened is called an abnormal working condition. Well, another word for that is now an extra ordinary event. Do I think that I can obtain benefits for you under the scenario I just described? Yes, yes I do believe that getting robbed at gun point if you’re a clerk in a gas station, is an extra ordinary event. We would have to prove that to the judge, but with the right medical help, and reports, and your testimony, I feel confident we could help you. So those are the three types of categories, physical mental injury, a mental physical injury, and a mental mental injury. I hope this helps you as you go through life and go through jobs. If you need our help, give us a call. This is Legal Tip Tuesday, I’m Vince Quatrini, have a great day.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hello, and welcome to Legal Tip Tuesday. I’m Vince Quatrini, and today I wanted to talk to you about a life tip that integrates with our legal tips here at Quatrini Rafferty. I have been representing injured workers, men and women, my entire career. And what I’ve found is that when that sudden unexpected event occurs, that puts you out of work, you’re not ready for it, emotionally or financially. So, what I thought I’d share with you are some concepts of what to do to prepare, at least financially, for a time when you’re not going to have no income. A rainy-day fund, otherwise called and emergency fund. Some steps to follow. One, set a goal. Pick a number, a dollar number, that you feel you need to set aside and then work on it on a regular basis. Use your payroll account to automatically deduct it, so you never see it. Two, the goal is to put away three to six months of your expenses. Your mortgage and your rent, or rent, your car payment, and your utilities and groceries. So, if you have an emergency fund that you’ve put away six months, you’re going to be in good shape if something unexpected befalls you. Three, keep that money immediately available. Don’t put it into some account you can’t take it out of when you need it right away. So that you can use it when you need it. Four, join a credit union, they have great accounts for something like this. You may already have a Christmas account, or a vacation account, create an emergency fund account. Finally, remember why you setup this account. For the unexpected, for the emergency when you’re out of work and out of a paycheck, for whatever reason, for a long time. It’s not your vacation fund, it’s not when you decide to buy a new couch. This is for that time when you will have to worry about "where am I going to get money to pay to pay my mortgage?" I hope these ideas, these concepts, will give you more piece of mind and more security as you go forward in life. Thank you for watching Legal Tip Tuesday, have a great day.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hello this is Michael Quatrini and I have a veterans (disability) update for you. As some of you may have heard, the Veterans Administration is trying to totally overhaul their appeal system. What does this mean for your case if you already have one going or in the future? February 14, 2019 will the date when any decisions rendered after that will fall under the new appeal system. The problem? We don't actually have regulations written by the VA and approved by Congress at this point as to how that new appeal system is going to work. This should make veterans nervous, but the good news is that you will have us to try to figure that process out. The long and short of it is this: if you already have a case pending on appeal through the VA, your case will stay in the same process that it's already in. We can continue to handle that case just as we've been doing for the last year or even longer. If you receive a decision after February 14, 2019, we'll be in the new appeal process. The good news is QuatriniRafferty is on the forefront of a) reading whatever proposed regulations have already been published and b) giving guidance to lawyers across the United States on what that appeal process is going to look like. I personally was in San Francisco about two weeks ago where I did a three-hour presentation on what, how, when and why of the new appeal system. I look forward to sharing these thoughts with you. Let's hope that after February 14thof 2019, we actually have real regulations to be able to explain to everyone the process. I look forward to going over those with you.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi everybody! I'm Jessica Rafferty. I'm one of the attorneys here at QuatriniRafferty and I handle our personal injury cases. I'm here on Legal Tip Tuesday and I wanted to share with you a tip regarding your auto insurance policy. There are many options, and we have probably talked about quite a few of those during our Legal Tip Tuesdays, but one that I wanted to mention today is "stacking." If you're in a household and you own more than one vehicle, you can select "Stacking" on your auto insurance policy. So if you're injured in an auto accident and the driver that hit you does not have enough insurance coverage to cover all of your injuries, you can look to your own insurance policy (Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage). Now that's a different topic, but what you can do with the Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverages is you can stack the coverages. So for instance if you have a policy that has $50,000 of Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage, but you have 2 cars in your household and you select "stacking," you don't just have $50,000 of coverage anymore. You now have $100,000 of coverage. So basically, you take whatever your Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage is and you multiply it by the number of cars you have in your household if you select "stacking." It's a really good idea to have "stacking" because a lot of times people that are driving out on the road do not have enough insurance to cover the damages they may cause to you and your family, and this is a nice way to protect you.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi my name is Jim Horchak and I’m here today with another addition of Legal Tip Tuesday. And today I want to talk about the myths of a regulable living trust. And the first myth is that by having a regulable living trust, avoids inheritance tax compared to if I just had everything in my will, and that is completely false. Your estate will be subject to an inheritance tax whether or not you have a living trust or if you have a will. So, a living trust does not avoid inheritance tax. And the second myth is my probate cost will be reduced, and that also is not true. If you have a living trust, you’ll still have to hire a lawyer – well your estate will have to hire a lawyer. There’ll still be probate cost at the courthouse. There’s a lot to do if you have your assets in a will or if you have your assets passing through a trust. So, there’ll be cost to pay either way, so that myth is simply not true. Another thing you have to think about is you still need a will, because what if you had some assets that you acquired after you drafted the trust and forgot to transfer them into the trust. So you’ll need a will that picks up some of these assets that simply weren’t tilted in the trust, and again you may have to occur the probate process which in Pennsylvania isn’t that burdensome. When we talk to our clients, we most the time if not all the time, recommend wills. If you have any questions about living wills or trust, just give us a call here at the firm. Thank you.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi I'm Pete Gough, an attorney with QuatriniRafferty. I'm certified by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in Workers' Compensation. I'm here today for Legal Tip Tuesday to talk to you about an organization that's near and dear to my heart: Kids' Chance of Pennsylvania. I'm on the Board of this special charitable organization - Kids' Chance of Pennsylvania – and have been for the past several years. The attorneys and staff of QuatriniRafferty are proud to be partners and sponsors of Kids' Chance of Pennsylvania. Kids' Chance of Pennsylvania is dedicated to helping kids who need assistance for college of vocational education because a parent was killed or seriously injured in a work-related accident. For the 2017/2018 year, Kids' Chance of Pennsylvania awarded 53 scholarships for a total amount of $175,000. Over the last 6 years, Kids' Chance of Pennsylvania has awarded over 330 scholarships totaling over $1 million to kids in need.


    • Video Transcript
      • Welcome to QuatriniRafferty’s Legal Tip Tuesday. Today I’d like to talk a little bit about your auto insurance and specifically the property damage portion of your insurance. So, a couple questions: what kind of coverage must you carry in Pennsylvania? Only $5000 of property damage coverage is required. What does that cover? Is the next question that people usually ask. And that’s damage to another vehicle that you might be responsible for damaging, or other property. If you run off the road into a mailbox or a light post or something like that. So, if you think about it $5000 is not going to cover a lot of damage and you can be held personally responsible if you’re at fault for damaging someone’s property. So, the legal tip for this Tuesday is check your auto insurance policy. You want to have more than $5000 worth of coverage and you want to make sure that you know about this before something happens to protect yourself in the future.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hello to all the fans of QuatriniRafferty. Welcome back to Legal Tip Tuesday. Previously we had discussed maintaining your treatment with your doctors leading up to your Social Security Disability or SSI hearing. Now I want to tell you a little bit about after you've already won your case. As we've seen here at the office, there's a dramatic rise in the amount of "Continuing Disability Reviews." This means that Social Security is pulling more people to review their claims to try to cut off their benefits. What is important is that you continue to go to your doctors after you've been awarded. This includes your specialists. And even if your doctors indicate that they don't need to see you again or only when needed, we still recommend making an appointment to check back in with them probably once a year if more, especially if you're having an increase of symptoms or different types of symptoms. What we're really concerned about as well is that not only has there been a dramatic rise in the number of CDRs already, but with the passage of a new executive order last week or the week before, there will now be the opportunity for the Social Security Administration to appoint these judges rather than have them go through rigorous testing to actually get a job as an Administrative Law Judge. We think this combination of Continuing Disability Reviews and appointed judges will make for a more difficult path in the future so that's why it's more important than ever that you maintain your treatment, always repeat and explain your symptoms with specifics, and that will allow you to continue to protect yourself going forward. Thank you.

  • LEGAL TIP TUESDAY - SEPTEMBER 11, 2018 - THE GIG ECONOMY (Workers' Compensation)

    • Video Transcript
      • Hello and welcome to Legal Tip Tuesday. This is Vince Quatrini. I'm one of the attorneys from the law firm of QuatriniRafferty. Today's tip? The "Gig Economy." Oh, what is the Gig Economy? Let's back up a step. So up until now, if you went to work for the local steel mill, you were an employee of the steel mill. You got a paycheck, fringe benefits, and protection if you got hurt from Workers' Compensation. Fast forward to today. You're the Uber driver who has just taken a suitcase out of the trunk of the car and hurt your back. Uh oh. Who's going to pay if you can't work? You're not an employee of Uber if they have their way. You're called an "independent contractor." An independent contractor is not covered under the Workers' Compensation Act of Pennsylvania. Now what do you do? You can't work, and you have no income coming in. So maybe we need Uber drivers and we need a Gig Economy, but you also need protected. We have arguments that would make you an employee of Uber. They (Uber) tell you where to go. They set the terms of your payment. They control your activities. So maybe you really are an employee (of Uber). That's the short version of the Gig Economy 2018. Thanks for tuning in! Come back soon to the lawyers at QuatriniRafferty. Have a good day.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi, this is Legal Tip Tuesday. I'm Dave DeRose. I'm an associate (Attorney) here at QuatriniRafferty and I would like to give you a tip on estate planning. Many people have assets that they own perhaps as a husband and wife, maybe a husband and a son, a wife and a daughter…they're "jointly-held assets." Between husband and wife, there is no problem and there is no tax when one spouse passes away. If, however, a widow or a widower owns an account with a son or a daughter, for example, there is a tax to pay at the widow or widower's death. Many people don't realize that and end up piling certain assets into their children's names with them expecting there would be no tax. The other thing that sometimes occurs is that a child will put a parent on an asset that they own. Perhaps the child buys savings bonds and for convenience sake puts his mother or father on the bond with him. Well, if the child would die, the mother and father have a tax to pay. If the mother or father dies, the child has a tax to pay on his or her own money. These are things that we can discuss at any time in the course of an estate plan for you. Please feel free to contact us. Thank you.


    • Video Transcript
      • Welcome to Legal Tip Tuesday sponsored by the law firm QuatriniRafferty. I'm Mike Routch, and today I'm going to talk about mental injuries that may result from physical work injuries. Sadly, a serious physical trauma at work can lead to depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, or other serious mental injury. Sometimes the mental injury can be more debilitating than the physical injury that caused it. Establishing that a mental injury arose from a physical trauma at work can be quite complex. Questions may evolve regarding the nature of the mental condition, the cause of the mental condition, and notice as to when it arose. Additionally, there are many forms of treatment for mental injuries that can be quite costly if they're denied by the employer or the insurance carrier as being work-related.
      • Because mental injuries that evolved from physical traumas are not always obvious to the worker, to their family, or to their friends, they may impact the statute of limitations and the notice requirements of the Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Act. If you believe that you've developed a major depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, or any other mental illness as a result of a serious, physical work injury, you should call QuatriniRafferty. We can answer your questions and try and help you discover whether or not the Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Act covers your mental injury. I'm Mike Routch, thanks for joining us!


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi everybody! I'm Jessica Rafferty and I'm at the law firm of QuatriniRafferty and I'm here today for Legal Tip Tuesday! I want to talk with you about the Statue of Limitations. In Pennsylvania, if you're injured through no fault of your own and you want to bring a personal injury action, you have two years from the date of the accident to do so. If you're a child or you're injured in another state, even if you are a resident of Pennsylvania, that changes the Statue of Limitations. So if you have questions and you'd like to speak with us about that we are more than happy to talk with you.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi, I'm Pete Gough from QuatriniRafferty and welcome to Legal Tip Tuesday. Today I'd like to discuss with you Workers' Compensation cases and when you should really see a lawyer. After you get hurt (at work), the first thing you should do is you should report your injury to your employer through your supervisor. What can you expect next? Well, typically the Workers' Compensation carrier will issue one of three documents.
      • The first is a "Denial," meaning that the carrier is denying your Workers' Compensation case. You should immediately see a lawyer because I'm sure you'd like to protect your rights, not only if you're missing work now, but if you could miss work in the future.
      • The second document you may get is something called a "Notice of Temporary Compensation Payable." This means that the Workers' Compensation carrier is accepting your injury for a limited period of time…that does not mean that it's an acceptance of your case. You should see a lawyer when you get a "Notice of Temporary Compensation Payable you need to be guided as to what strategy you should take to ensure your "Notice of Temporary Compensation Payable" converts to an accepted claim…what to do…what to say…what to expect…those are things that really help you in your Workers' Compensation case and a place you can only get that from (is the) the legal representation at QuatriniRafferty.
      • The final "issue" or document that occurs in Workers' Compensation cases is a simple acceptance of your claim through a "Notice of Compensation Payable." Does that mean that you're in the clear? That you should not see a lawyer? The answer is no, you should still see a lawyer even though your claim is accepted. The claim documents might indicate an incorrect description of injury. They may be paying you too less. So for these reasons, come see us at QuatriniRafferty. We'd love to have you.

  • LEGAL TIP TUESDAY - AUGUST 7, 2018 - OCCUPATIONAL ASTHMA (Workers' Compensation)

    • Video Transcript
      • Welcome to Legal Tip Tuesday, from the law firm of QuatriniRafferty. I've Vince Quatrini and today I want to tell you and talk to you about asthma in the workplace. Do you work at a place where fumes and chemicals are a regular part of your daily existence? Have you noticed that over time you've developed hoarseness? A cough that just won't go away? Shortness of breath? Well, you may be developing what's called "Occupational Asthma." Yes, you know a cousin who has asthma from when he was born, but you can acquire asthma and you can do it in the workplace when you're exposed to fumes or chemicals. If this is happening to you, give us a call. We'll sit with you for a free consultation. That's your tip for Legal Tip Tuesday from the law firm of QuatriniRafferty.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi everybody, it's Adam Quatrini from QuatriniRafferty, here to talk about Social Security Disability on this Legal Tip Tuesday. One of the questions that I get most often is "how long is this (Social Security Disability) process going to take me?" The truth is it's going to take a while. The initial application period is 3 months (on average). 85% of people are denied at that level. You come back in, we appeal you, and that puts you in line to go in front of a Social Security judge. To get to the judge right now is anywhere between 22 to 24 months, so the takeaway is it is a very long process and the sooner you get in, the sooner we can get you in the system and get you the money that you deserve.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi. I'm Joyce Novotny Prettiman from QuatriniRafferty and I'm here to give you a tip for our Legal Tip Tuesday. In regard to Auto Insurance, keep in mind that in Pennsylvania you have to purchase $5,000 of medical coverage. Most people don't know that you can purchase more and it's not terribly expensive. The reason you might want to consider doing that is if you're in an Auto Accident and you're injured, when you get to collecting a settlement on your Personal Injury case, many times your private health insurance can come back into that settlement to collect the bills that they've paid. So if you have more insurance on your own auto coverage, you'll save yourself from that interesting situation.


    • Video Transcript
      • Welcome to Legal Tip Tuesday sponsored by the Law Firm QuatriniRafferty. I'm Mike Routch, and I'm going to talk today about payment of medical bills after a work injury. Often when someone is hurt at work, the employer or its insurance carrier will pay medical bills without formally accepting the work injury. While this may not be too significant for minor injuries, it can have major repercussions should the injury recur or should it require future treatment going forward. All workers' comp. injuries have a three year statute of limitations, which means that an employer, if it doesn't accept the injury, could stop paying medical bills after three years. Imagine having a back injury that persists and requires periodic visits to say a Chiropractor. After three years, if the employer or the carrier doesn't formally recognize the claim, they could stop paying bills and then the worker is responsible to pay them after that.
      • Be aware. The mere payment of medical bills does not constitute the acceptance of an injury under the Pennsylvania workers' comp act, nor does payment of short-term disability by an employer. If you've been injured at work and you're not sure if your claim has been formally accepted by your employer, give us a call at QuatriniRafferty. We can answer your questions and make sure that your rights are protected for future payment of medical bills. I'm Mike Routch. Thank you.

  • LEGAL TIP TUESDAY - JULY 10, 2018 - CONSISTENCY IS KEY (Social Security Disability)

    • Video Transcript
      • Hi this is Michael Quatrini and I'm back for Legal Tip Tuesday. Today's theme is Social Security Disability benefits. With any claim for Social Security, consistent medical treatment is key. Basically when judges look at these cases, if a person is not treating for a condition, it doesn't exist. That's why it's important that you consistently go to the doctor, you consistently always go over your symptoms so that it eventually gets in the records so the judge can read it and understand the impact it's having on your day-to-day life.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi. This is Legal Tip Tuesday. I'm Dave DeRose. I'm an associate (attorney) here at QuatriniRafferty and I'd like to give you a tip about estate planning. Many people over the course of my career have asked me, "Isn't it a good idea that I transfer my family home to my children?" And that might be a couple, that might be a widow or a widower. The answer to that is complex. There is no "one answer." It has some advantages, and it has some disadvantages. One disadvantage is that your children could now own your home and if you have a disagreement with them, you may not be able to stay in your home. One advantage might be that you transfer your house to your children and you avoid inheritance tax if you live for more than one year. There are also some income tax issues, there's an issue relating to nursing care if you would find yourself going into a nursing home and needing to apply for aid, and a host of other things. And that tells me that if you want this question answered, you need to come in, see me, and we'll certainly talk about it and explore all of the pros and cons appropriately. Thank you.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi this is Brian Bronson for "Legal Tip Tuesday" here at QuatriniRafferty. One of the questions we get very often is, "How much am I entitled to if I leave work and go on Long-Term Disability benefits?" And the question depends on the policy and the terms of the policy. Some policies give 60% of your benefits. Some give even about up to 80% of your benefits. What you really need to do, before you become disabled, is to become familiar with your particular product that either you or employer has purchased for you. You need to find out if there are potential offsets for Workers' Compensation, for Social Security Disability, and for other benefits coming in so that you can determine "If I am disabled, am I covered to the point where I can survive the disability and get back to work, or is it enough money to cover me if I incur a serious disability?"


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi everybody! I'm Jessica Rafferty. I'm here at the law firm of QuatriniRafferty for Legal Tip Tuesday. Today I wanted to talk with you about a common misconception. If you're involved in an Automobile Accident and let's say, for example, I caused the accident. I collided with your vehicle. If you file a claim against me, it would be, say your name is "Joe Smith", so "Joe Smith versus Jessica." Even though you have to name "Jessica" as the defendant in the case, it's really my insurance company that would be paying for the damages to your vehicle or yourself/your injuries. So even though, under Pennsylvania law, it must be "Joe Smith versus Jessica Rafferty," it's really my insurance company that would be paying that. You would not be taking any money out of my pocket. I just wanted to clear that up. A lot of people ask that question and I thought it might be helpful.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi, I'm Pete Gough from QuatriniRafferty and welcome back to Legal Tip Tuesday. Today is a topic that is very dear to my heart and that is how long you have to treat with a panel physician or a company doctor. The answer is no time. Only on very limited circumstances…VERY limited circumstances…do you have to treat with the panel physician for 90 days. Yes, the employer is going to tell you that you have to…that is not the case. So if you get hurt and you feel that the panel physician is not in your corner, please see us at QuatriniRafferty. We're here to help you. Thank you.

  • LEGAL TIP TUESDAY - MAY 29, 2018 - PARENTS: YOU NEED A WILL! (Wills & Estates)

    • Video Transcript
      • Hi my name is Jim Horchak and I'm with QuatriniRafferty law firm. Today we're here with another episode of Legal Tip Tuesday. Today I want to talk about why it's important to have a will, especially if you have young children. It's important because in your will you get to select who you want to be the guardian of your child in the event of your untimely demise. In addition, you actually get to select who you want to pick as the guardian. In the event you don't have a will, it could lead to family members fighting about who gets to be the guardian of you child after your death.

  • LEGAL TIP TUESDAY - MAY 22, 2018 - SSD VS. SSI (Social Security Disability)

    • Video Transcript
      • Hi everybody! It's Adam Quatrini from QuatriniRafferty here with your Legal Tip Tuesday. Today we're talking about the difference between SSI (Supplemental Security Income) and SSD (Social Security Disability). The main factor that separates the two is work history. So if you haven't worked much, or sporadically, you're going to apply for Supplemental Security Income. And then if you have a long work history and you've been paying into Social Security Disability through your FICA tax, you're going to apply for SSD. Many people apply for SSD when they come see me, but come to QuatriniRafferty, we'll talk about it. There's many nuances and we can either apply you for one or both.


    • Video Transcript
      • Happy Tuesday! This is Brian Bronson here for the QR Legal Tip Tuesday. Today I'm going to talk about Long-Term Disability, that's what I do, and the question is, that we get most often is "Am I eligible for Long-Term Disability?" And the answer is "It depends." So Long-Term Disability is a contractual benefit either you sign up for on your own or your employer carries as part of your employee benefit packages. So to find out if you're covered by Long-Term Disability, you need to get in touch with either your insurance agent if you're a private company or your Human Resources Department. You can qualify for Long-Term Disability benefits if you're injured at work, if you are sick, if you have an illness – there's lots of ways to qualify but in order to find out, you need to get in touch with your Human Resources Department and then you need to come in and see us to have a check to see whether or not you qualify for benefits.

  • LEGAL TIP TUESDAY – MAY 1, 2018 – GIVE NOTICE OF INJURY (Workers' Compensation)

    • Video Transcript
      • Welcome to Legal Tip Tuesday from the law firm of QuatriniRafferty. I'm Vince Quatrini and I'm here today to talk to you about giving notice when you get injured at work. So you tripped over a wire and you fell on the floor at work and you thought, "Oh, I'm okay. I just bruised my knee and my shoulder's a little sore. I'll just work through it." Wrong decision! We advise all of our clients to report every injury even though at the time you may think it's insignificant. Why? Well, if you go home and you report that injury a day later…two days later…your employer is going to assume it didn't happen at work. And, if you failed to report that injury within 120 days, you cannot file a claim at all. That's your tip for Legal Tip Tuesday! Have a good day.


    • Video Transcript
      • Hi, I'm Joyce Novotny-Prettiman from QuatriniRafferty and I'm here to give you a tip for our Legal Tip Tuesday. In regard to your auto insurance, there are two very important decisions that you should make when selecting your own insurance coverage. The first is that you want to choose Full Tort. That's extremely important because you don't want to limit your ability to collect a settlement if you're injured in an Auto Accident. The second thing which is almost as important is that you want to make sure that you've purchased Un- and Underinsured Motorist Coverage. This protects you if the person at fault for the Auto Accident doesn't have any insurance or enough insurance. They're two very important things. It'll protect you and all the members of your family. Pick Full Tort and purchase Un- and Underinsured Motorist Coverage on your auto insurance.


    • Video Transcript
      • MVQ Vet Conditions
        "Hello this is Michael Quatrini and I'm here for the inaugural Legal Tip Tuesday. I have two different tips for you today. Mine today focuses on Veterans' Disability Compensation. As many of you don't know yet, the V.A. has finally that any marines at Camp Lejeune between 1957 and 1987 were exposed to a chemical spill in the water supply that has caused a number of different conditions. So my tip for you, Number 1 today, is if you did serve at Camp Lejeune between the 50's and the 80's, I think you should look into whether it's time to file an application for benefits. Even if you've had conditions in the past, I think that it's important that you to go through the list which are easily accessible through an internet search* of "Camp Lejeune water conditions." Right now, those include adult leukemia, liver cancer, Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, Parkinson's Disease, Multiple Myeloma, kidney cancer, bladder cancer, and Aplastic Anemia. Those are the conditions that are currently being paid for benefits, but I expect, given the V.A.'s research, for that list to expand in the future. So the tip is make sure that you go and apply if you've ever had any of those conditions. And secondly, my tip for the day is "James Harrison, what are you doing signing with the New England Patriots? Tip Number 2? Bad idea James Harrison!"

Get In Touch Today

Get In Touch Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


Our Practice Range

Serving Southwestern Pennsylvania with offices in Westmoreland, Allegheny, and Blair Counties.

  • Super Lawyers
  • Best Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent
  • WILG
  • NOVA

Greensburg Office:
550 East Pittsburgh Street
Greensburg, PA 15601

Toll Free: 888-534-6016
Phone: 724-221-3191
Fax: 724-837-1348
Greensburg Law Office Map

Pittsburgh Office:
941 Penn Avenue
Suite 101
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Phone: 412-391-2800
Pittsburgh Law Office Map

Latrobe Office:
816 Ligonier Street
First Floor
Latrobe, PA 15650

Phone: 724-539-2841
Latrobe Law Office Map

Altoona Office:
615 Howard Avenue
Suite 210
Altoona, PA 16601

Phone: 814-656-0065
Fax: 814-656-0066
Altoona Law Office Map

  • Super Lawyers
  • Best Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent
  • WILG
  • NOVA