Employee Rights & Discrimination
Not sure if you are being treated fairly by your employer? Changes to your job – or being put out of a job – are major worries and impacts on your life.
You do not have to face these changes alone. Quatrini Rafferty is here to advise you of your employment rights and to serve as your dedicated advocate.
If something happens to your job, or your employer is asking you to sign a document that you have questions about, it is important that you get legal representation as soon as possible. Some employers tell employees that they do not have any rights because Pennsylvania is an “at-will employment” state. That is not the case.
You have a number of rights – Federal,State, and Local – as an employee, including the right to be paid the wages and overtime that you have earned as well as the protection against wrongful termination, to name just two.
But NOTE: Because the law puts strict time limits on your ability to exercise your rights, it is extremely important to contact us as soon as possible.
At Quatrini Rafferty, our experienced attorneys represent employees throughout Western Pennsylvania in all types of employment matters, including the following:
- Employment Discrimination (including sexual harassment). Federal, state, and local laws protect most employees from being discriminated against because of their age, disabilities, sex (including pregnancy), race, color, religion, national origin, and military service, among other protected categories. Quatrini Rafferty is ready to fight on your behalf against illegal discrimination.
- Retaliation. The same laws that prohibit discrimination also protect employees from retaliation if they make a good faith complaint about illegal discrimination in the workplace or participate in a discrimination investigation. Quatrini Rafferty is here to defend you against retaliation.
- Disability Accommodations. If you have a disability and need a workplace accommodation, Quatrini Rafferty will work with your employer to ensure that your rights are protected and that your employer takes the necessary steps to accommodate you.
- Employment Agreements. Some employers have employees sign agreements that waive certain rights, such as the right to sue the employer for discrimination, the right to compete against the employer, and the right to solicit the employer’s customers or employees. It is essential to consult with an attorney before signing any employment-related agreement. Quatrini Rafferty will explain the content of the agreement and can negotiate with your employer for better terms.
- Unemployment Compensation. Unemployment compensation provides a safety net to employees who lose their jobs, or who are forced to leave their job through no fault of their own. If your employer challenges your application, it can be an uphill battle to obtain benefits. Quatrini Rafferty is here to stand up to your employer and make sure that you get the benefits that you deserve.
- Family and Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”). The FMLA provides eligible employees with 12 weeks of unpaid leave. It is illegal for your employer to retaliate against you for taking FMLA leave or to interfere with your use of it. Contact Quatrini Rafferty to have your FMLA rights protected.
- Whistleblowing. If you work for a local, state, or federal government employer, or if your employer receives government funds, you may be protected against retaliation for reporting wrongdoing or waste by your employer. Quatrini Rafferty will help you understand your rights as a whistleblower and defend against any retaliation by your employer.
- Wrongful Termination. It is illegal to terminate employees in Pennsylvania if it violates our state’s public policy. The right to file for workers’ compensation benefits is one example (there are a number of public policy protections) of that public policy. The reality is that your employer may try to retaliate against you because you file for benefits. Quatrini Rafferty not only helps employees get workers’ compensation benefits, but also protects them from retaliation by their employers.
- Wage and Hour. You have the right to be paid the wages that you earned, including bonuses, and if you are a non-exempt employee, to be paid overtime. If your employer owes you money, contact Quatrini Rafferty. We will fight to get you paid.